Having a quality highlight video is a crucial aspect of recruiting for all team sports, and many individual sports as well. Statistics and awards look good on paper but having video available for a coach to review could mean the difference between being an active prospect, and being one among a hundred of emails in a coaches inbox.
This video does not need to be professionally produced! Many athletes build their own recruiting website and link to youtube highlights of their games. Just make sure it is clear which athlete you are and show a variety of clips demonstrating your technical and tactical skills.
Here are some tips for producing your own recruiting highlight video.
- Film from as high above the field as you can.
- Don’t zoom in on the athlete, show the surrounding context of the game as much as possible
- Choose clips from the game that showcase your individual AND team skills (that is off ball movement, cutting/leading, distribution, elimination, anything that shows athleticism or leadership).
- The clips do not need to be chronological – Always show the best highlights first
- The final video should not be longer than about 7 minutes
- Don’t get too fancy with music, video transitions and lots of text. As much as you can, let your skill speak for itself!
Upload your video to your athlete profile or to youtube and contact your target coaches to let them know how to view it!
Overwhelmed? Get in touch with us to get some individual mentoring to answer your questions, and keep you on track to recruiting success!