TIPS ON HOW TO BUILD A GREAT RELATIONSHIP WITH YOUR FUTURE COLLEGE COACH.
For now, check out this list of 5 reasons why it is important to build a solid relationship with your target coaches.
- When you are a student-athlete your coach is like your parent away from home, get to know your coach during recruiting so you can determine if you will have a comfortable, open relationship with them.
- Part of building a relationship is learning how to communicate with each other, during recruiting this will help you ask and get answers to all the questions you may have about their school or program. After recruiting having a great communication foundation with the coach can help you during times of struggle, or even help enhance your leadership role on the team.
- Getting to know a coach before you commit to their program can help prevent any surprises once you arrive on campus. Remember, during recruiting the coach is on their best behaviour! If you are not completely comfortable, or don’t connect with them now, don’t expect it to get any better when you are away from home!
- Your coach will be your advocate throughout your career. Forge a great relationship with them from the start and they are likely to help you later on, make recommendations to National or Professional Teams, find you tryouts, write you letters of reference, even help you find a job!
- At crunch time in recruiting, when the coach must decide whether to offer you a scholarship….or the other athlete on their list, they are more likely to go with the player they have the best relationship with.